IP Ratings for Electrical Enclosures
IP ratings are defined by international standard IEC 60529. They use a dual numbering system to define levels of sealing effectiveness of electrical enclosures against intrusion from foreign bodies (tools, dirt etc) and moisture.
To find a B&R product by a specific IP rating, scroll down.
IP Rating Details
B&R Enclosures products are rated based on the following:
First digit - intrusion of solid particles
- IP3X – Solid objects of 2.5mm diameter or larger shall not penetrate
- IP4X - Solid objects of 1.0mm diameter or larger shall not penetrate
- IP5X - Limited ingress of dust (no harmful deposits
- IP6X - Completely protected against the ingress of dust
Second digit - moisture protection
- IPX0 – no protection against water damage
- IPX2 - protected against vertically falling drops of water only
- IPX4 - Protected against water splashed from all directions
- IPX5 - Protected against jets of water
- IPX6 - Protected against strong jets of water
- IPX7 - protected against the effects of temporary immersion between 15cm and 1m.
For a full description of what each numeral means, see our IP Rating Chart (pdf).